Start: February 11, 2021 - Deadline: February 21, 2021
Call for proposals for a scientific study on human bones and other body parts (Human Remains) from colonial contexts in Berlin
The coordinating body for a city-wide concept to come to terms with Berlin's colonial past was approved by the Berlin House of Representatives in August 2019 (DS18/1788). The two-year project (2020 - 2021) aims to develop measures together with representatives from politics, administration and civil society that initiate decolonization processes and stimulate a social discussion on dealing with German colonialism and its aftermath.
As part of the project, the Coordination Office is awarding a contract for work to create an inventory of Human Remains from colonial contexts stored in collections, museums and institutions in Berlin. This is to be done with the inclusion of the expertise of individuals, associations and public institutions that have already filed claims for restitution.
The aim of the study is to provide an overview of the current stock of Human Remains in institutions located in Berlin and to transparently present information that serves their identification and repatriation.
- Inventory of Human Remains from Colonial Contexts Located in Berlin.
- Pointing out gaps in documentation
- Overview of the state of provenance research
- Overview of the use of Human Remains from colonial contexts for research, teaching, and exhibition purposes.
- Cooperation with affected experts who have already filed claims for recovery (e.g. from Hawaii, Tanzania)
- Content agreements and feedback loops with the coordination office
- Final delivery by 31.08.2021
- Academic background in history, anthropology, ethnology, postcolonial theory.
- Profound expertise on the above mentioned topics
- Structured way of working
- Desktop research on the topic
- Interviews with civil society and scientific actors
- Creation of a questionnaire and letter to collections in Berlin
- Presentation and analysis of the research results in the form of a table, text as introduction and explanation of the table.
- The text is to be created in German language
- Decolonize Berlin e.V. reserves the right to publish the texts in other formats and in translated form
We offer you
- A work contract with Decolonize Berlin e.V.
- Text editing and online layout
The final question, as well as the modalities and the form of the documentation will be clarified in a personal interview.
We ask for an informal application (offer as well as curriculum vitae without application photo) by 21.02.2021in which it is briefly explained which previous research experience or experience in scientific work is given and which previous knowledge in the subject area exists. The remuneration amounts to 4.500,00€ (gross).
The bids received will be evaluated according to commercial and technical suitability (education, professional experience, proven technical expertise).
0177 / 351 2654